Dr. Elçin TAN
|BSc ||Meteorological Engineering, ITU, Turkey, 1999 |
|MSc: ||Meteorological Engineering, ITU, Turkey 2001 |
|PhD: ||Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, USA, 2010 |
She has been working on atmospheric models namely the Weather Research and Forecast Model (WRF) and she has been mostly involved in numerical and interdisciplinary research areas of atmospheric and hydrological sciences. Areas of specialization include modeling of probable maximum precipitation, dynamical downscaling of climate models, extreme events, WRF model physics, and satellite data assimilation techniques on weather simulations. Her research areas are extended to water channel experiments and computational fluid dynamics applications.
She is currently an editorial board member of the Journal of Mediterranean Meteorology and Climatology (http://www.tethys.cat/en
She is a member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the European Geophysical Union (EGU).
- Unal Y.S., Tan E., and Mentes S.S.: Summer Heat Waves over Western Turkey between 1965-2006, Accepted by the Theoretical and Applied Climatology on June 25th, 2012.
- Ohara N., M.L. Kavvas, S. Kure, Z.Q. Chen, S. Jang, and E. Tan, 2011: A Physically based Estimation of Maximum Precipitation over American River Watershed, California, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 16, 351.
- Chen, S.-H., J. Dudhia, J. S. Kain, T. Kindap, and E. Tan, 2008: Development of the online MM5 tracer model and its applications to air pollution episodes in Istanbul, Turkey and Sahara dust transport, J. Geophys. Res., 113, D11203.
- Sen Z., and E. Tan, 2001: Simple models of Solar Radiation Data for Northwestern Part of Turkey, Energy Conversion and Management, 42, 587-598.
- Ozdemir E.T., Mentes S.S., Tan E., Unal E., Efe B., Unal Y.S., Oner E., Anbarci K., Onol B., Borhan Y., and Incecik S., 2012: Short Term Wind Power Forecast in Manisa, Turkey by Using the WRF Model Coupled to a CFD Model, EWRES & ECRES The European Workshop & Conference on Renewable Energy Systems, September 17-28, Antalya, Turkey (Accepted).
- Yesilkoy S., Aktar C., Inceoglu O., Efe B., Basar U.G., Tan E., Unal Y.S., and Mentes S.S., 2012: Short Term Wind Power Forecast in Manisa, Turkey by Using the WRF Model Coupled to a CFD Model, EWRES & ECRES The European Workshop & Conference on Renewable Energy Systems, September 17-28, Antalya, Turkey (Accepted).
- Efe B., Mentes S.S., Unal E., Unal Y.S., Tan E., Ozdemir, E.T., Barutcu B., Onol B., Topcu S., 2012: 72hr Forecast of Wind Power in Manisa, Turkey by using the WRF model coupled to WindSIM, International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, November 11-12, Nagasaki, Japan (Submitted).
- Acar M., C. Balli, F. Caglar, E. Tan, B. Onol, H. Karan, and Y.S. Unal, 2012: Cluster Analysis of the Trajectories for Forecasted Transport of Air Pollutants using WRF and HYSPLIT models over Istanbul for January and July, 2009, EGU2012, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
- Balli C., M. Acar, F. Caglar, E. Tan, B. Onol, H. Karan, and Y.S. Unal, 2012: The Figure of Merit in Space (FMS) and Probability Analyses of the Concentrations for Forecasted Transport of Particles using the WRF and HYSPLIT Models over Istanbul for January and July, 2009, EGU2012, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
- Caglar F., Acar M., Balli C., Tan E., and Unal Y.S., 2012: Verification of 24 hours Wind Field Forecast Generated by WRF-ARW for January and July of 2009, EGU2012, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
- Tan E., 2012: An Investigation of Extreme Precipitation in Turkey, EGU2012, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
- Unal E., Tan E., Mentes S.S., Caglar F., Turkmen M., Unal Y.S., Onol B., Ozdemir E.T., 2012: A Comparison of Primitive Model Results of the Short Term Wind Energy Prediction, EGU2012, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
- Tan E., 2011: Climate Change Effect in Atmospheric Rivers, AGU 2011, San Francisco, CA.
- Tan E., 2011: An investigation of the Mediterrenean Extreme Precipitation, the 3rd Meeting on Meteorology and Climatology of the Mediterrenean, 6-9 June 2011, Italy.
- B. Efe, S.S. Mentes, D. Akcan, E. Tan, Y.S. Unal, B. Onol, S. Tanriover, S. Rustemoglu, K. Anbarci, E. Oner, and S. Incecik, 2011: EMS Annual Meeting, 12-16 September, 2011, Berlin, Germany.
- Akcan D., B. Efe, S.S. Mentes, Y.S. Unal, E. Tan, B. Onol, S. İncecik, B. Barutcu, K. Anbarci, and E. Oner, Preliminary Results of Short Term Wind Energy Prediction System (SWEPS) for Soma, Manisa in Turkey, EGU General Assembly 2011, Vienne, Austria.
- Caglar F., E. Tan, and Y.S. Unal, 2011: A High Resolution Flash Flood Event Simulation in Istanbul using the WRF Model, EGU General Assembly 2011, Vienne, Austria.
- Karadavut C., Caglar F., Unal Y.S., Tan E., 2011: WRF simulation of snow event on the Eastern Anatolia Region, Turkey: Assessment using different microphysics and ground observations, EGU General Assembly 2011, Vienne, Austria.
- Unal Y.S., Cagatan K., and Tan E., 2011: Assessment of the Heat Waves on the Western Part of Turkey Between 1965 and 2006., The 5th Atmospheric Science Symposium, 27-29 April 2011, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Mentes S.S., Unal Y.S., Incecik S., Topcu S., Borhan Y., Barutcu B., Onol B., Toros H., Tan E., Akcakaya A., Dundar C., Deniz A., 2010: Short Term Wind Energy Prediction System Project, 1ere Conference Franco-Syrienne sur les energies renouvelables, 24-28 October, 2010, Damascus.
- Tan E., 2010: Hydrological Consequences of Climate Change, International Scientificially-Practical Conference “Youth for Ecological Progress”, November 11-12, 2010, Baku, Azerbaijan, Invited Speaker.
- Tan E., and M.L. Kavvas, Determination of precipitation modeling accuracy over American River Basin, Atmospheric Boundary Layers: Concepts, Observations, and Numerical Simulations, Les Houches Summer School Session, École De Physique, Les Houches, France, 17-27 June 2008.
- Chen S.-H., J. Dudhia, J. S. Kain, T. Kindap, and E. Tan, Development of the On-Line MM5 Tracer Model and its applications to Sahara Dust Transport, The 12th Conference on Mesoscale Processes, Waterville Valley, NH, 6-9 August 2007.
- Kalafatoglu E.C., Z. Kaymaz, and E. Tan, 2007: August 11, 1999 solar eclipse over Turkey and associated effects, RAST '07: 3rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Space Technologies, 2007, pp.50-53, 14-16 June 2007.
- Tan E., and Y.S. Unal, Impact of NAO to winter precipitation and temperature variability over Turkey, EGSAGU- EGU Joint Assembly, Nice, France, 06-11 April 2003.
- Tan E., 2003: Variance variation method in predicting Turkey’s Solar Radiation, Sirri Erinc Symposium, 11-13 September, 2003, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Tan E. and Unal Y.S., 2003: Impact of NAO to winter precipitation and temperature variability over Turkey, Sirri Erinc Symposium, 11-13 September, 2003, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Tan E., S. Sirdas, D. Ozcimen, A.D. Sahin, F. Karaosmanoglu, Z. Sen, Renewable Energy Resources of Turkey with Future Perspectives, The Fifth International Conference on the New Energy Systems and Conversions, Shanghai-CHINA, August 22-25, 2001.
- Tan E. and A.D. Sahin, Solar radiation potential of Turkey, The Third National Clean Energy Symposium, Istanbul, 15-17 November 2000.
- Tan E., A.D. Sahin and Z. Sen, Atmospheric clearness index evaluation by solar radiation-sunshine duration polygons”, The Third ISES-Europe Solar Congress Euro Sun 2000, Copenhagen-DENMARK, June 19-22, 2000.