Aeronautical Engineering Department is aimed to educate engineers for the design and manufacturing of the new aircrafts developed by Turkish aviation industry, and also maintenance of civil and military aircrafts. the department also undertakes the necessary research and application on the relatede fields.
Aeronautical Engineering Department founded in 1941 under the Mechanical Engineering Department as a branch giving Aeronautical Engineering degree, and in 1944, became a separate department in the Mechanical Engineering Faculty. With the establishment of Faculty of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, it was joined to this faculty and is still continuing its activities under this faculty. 10 professors, (1 foreigners), 2 Associate Professors, 6 Assistant Professor, 4 Lecturer and 9 Research Assistants form the current staff. Until today, 1937 students have been graduated from the undergraduate program and now in the English preparation school and 1,2,3, and 4. grades 411 bachelor science degree students are enrolled. Every year 50 students from the first 3% through the nationwide entrance exam are accepted
NUMBER OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING STUDENTS (Since October, 2017)
NUMBER OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING STUDENTS GRDUATED in 2016-2017: 73
International relationships:Germany (Technische Universitat München, RWTH Aachen, Universität Stuttgart, Fachhochschule Düsseldorf); France (Institute Polytechnique des Sciences Avancees (IPSA)); Spain (Universidad de Sevilla, Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya (ETSEIAT)); Italy (Politecnico di Torino, Politecnico di Milano, Università degli Studi di Perugia, Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II); Poland (Warsaw University of Technology); Greece (University of Patras). Eleven students are pursuing their some part of education in the universities mentioned above in recent two years.
International equivalence:The department is evaluated under the criteria of ABET(Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) and applied for the equivalence.
Admission to the department is controlled by the Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM), which is affiliated to the Higher Education Council (YÖK).
Students accepted to the program can be divided into five categories:
1)Regular high school or technical and vocationally oriented high school graduates.
2)The first ranking graduates of high schools.
4)Transfer students from different engineering programs at ITU and other domestic and foreign universities.
5)Students of other engineering programs at ITU pursuing double major in Aeronautical Engineering.
Regular high school or technical and vocationally oriented high school graduates are accepted to the program through a nationwide University Entrance Examination (ÖSS), which is performed in two successive stages every year in March and June. The examination aims to measure the verbal and the quantitative abilities of the candidates and is administered by the Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM), which is affiliated with the Higher Education Council (YÖK). Candidates are essentially evaluated on basis of their performance in the examinations together with their academic achievement (grade-point averages) in high school. The effective scores of the candidates reflect not only their selection examination scores but also their grade point averages at high school graduation. The candidates are placed in the higher education programs that are the highest on their list of preferences, if compatible with their scores.
The department has a limited number of quota for foreign students which is announced by the Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM). The foreign students who wish to enroll in the program should have to meet the criteria outlined by the Higher Education Council of Turkey at:YÖK
and Application Conditions to Undergraduate Level Programs athttp://www.sis.itu.edu.tr/eng/foreign
| Job Opportunities: |
Aeronautical engineering is an engineering branch dealing with the designing and developing of aircrafts, helicopters, rockets and bullets of weapon systems which are moving in the air. Furthermore, it is possible to gain required ability in order to develop skills subjected to repair, maintenance and operation of the vehicles mentioned above. Alternatively, aeronautical engineering contributes also on the topics covering such as land vehicles to R&D and Design activities. Consequently Aeronautical Engineers have the opportunity to obtain employment in a wide range among Aircraft and Defense to Automotive Industries.
- Turkish Airlines (THY)
- Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI)
- Turkish Engine Industries (TEI)
- Air Supply and Maintenance CentersT
- TUBITAK SAGE
- Roketsan Commercial
- Airline Companies
- Aircraft Maintenance Companies(MNGAir)
- Automotive Industries (Isuzu,BMC, Renault, Hyundai)
- Industry (Arçelik, Beko, Infotron , AEG, Bosch, Momentus)
- Public : Municipality, Ministry, Defence Industry Planning and CoordinationDirectorate ,State Planning Organization,
- Directoriate General of Civil AviationUniversities
- Overseas : NASA, Universities, Private sector
Main Research Fields:
- Theoretical, Computational and Experimental Aerodynamics and Fluid dynamics
- Designing and optimizations of the thermal systems
- Combustion and Turbulence in internal combustion engines
- Supersonic wind tunnel technology
- Unmanned Air Vehicles
- Composite Materials
- Mechanical Vibrations and Structural Dynamics
- Theoretical, Computational and Experimental Structural Analysis
- Structural Designing
- Control Systems: adaptive, smart, digital, optimal, pneumatic-hydraulic
- Robotic Control
- Measuring Systems
- Avionic Navigation Systems
Aeronautical Engineering students have the opportunity to benefit from ITU Trisonic Research Center and Faculty Computer Labs.
- 4 wind tunnels for subsonic research
- 2 wind tunnels for supersonic research
- Velocity and pressure measuring systems (PIV, LDA, Hot wire anemometer and pressure probes)
- Flow visualization systems (oil, smoke, colored fluids and Schileren method)
- Structure Dynamic tests
- Many work stations and personal computers for numerical studies
| CURRENT SELECTED PROJECTS |
- Multi-purpose Helicopter design and prototype manufacturing
- 3-D Flow visualization
- Advanced Research and Education program
- Design of wind turbines and rotor.
- Unmanned air vehicles
- Stability and Control of Aircrafts
- Measuring in incidents with high velocities
- Trisonic Tunnel Project
- Research in the effects of the impact on the structures.
- Failure detection, identification of F-16 aircraft and restructurable control
- Mid-sized unmanned air vehicle autopilot design
Academic Staff (in alphabetical order)
PhD 1998 ITU
BAYTAŞ, A. Cihat
PhD1973 Azerbaijan Academy of Sciences, Science Doctorate 1982 MIEM-LETI, Moskow
PhD 2012 ITU
DOĞAN, Vedat Z.
PhD1995 Columbia University (USA)
PhD1987 Azerbaijanian Scientific and Production Association (ASPA), Science Doctorate 1993 ASPA
PhD2004 Stanford University (USA)
KAYA, Metin Orhan
PhD1993 University of Michigan (USA)
PhD 2015 ITU
PhD 2006 Louisiana State University (USA)
TÜRKMEN, Halit Süleyman
ÜRE, Nazım Kemal
PD 2015 MIT (USA)
YÜKSELEN, M. Adil
TARHAN, Farabi Ahmet
VURUŞKAN, Aslıhan Visiting Research Assistants
ÖZTÜRK, Ahmet Gökay